Note: The following post relates to the project requirements for my Foundations in Creativity class.
Originally posted to the creativity blog on November 16, 2015.
Today, at work, I designed two emails. One will help spread the word about the new curriculum at the medical school. The other is the annual Thanksgiving message from the dean. I’m still holding on to being creative every day and sometimes I get lucky and can combine creativity and work. Unfortunately, anything I make for work is subject to approval and the general style of work is not my own.
Time is escaping from me and I thought it was time to formally start on the research paper. I have no idea why this has been the case throughout this project but I got into such a groove writing that I am nearly done with the rough draft. It’s almost as if my fingers have been possessed this term. This is comforting as I still need to work on the dress and will need some time.
Speaking of dresses, here is a photo of a reproduction garment I made to match one worn in several Vermeer paintings. I mentioned Vermeer in one of the dialogue questions during the class as he is one of my favorite artists. I have a hypothesis that many painters had closets full of clothing for their models to wear and that what we see people wearing, especially non-royalty, is likely from the painter’s closet not from the subject’s own wardrobe. The painter wouldn’t want to waste time debating fashion with the model and providing garments that are already known to look good in paint resolved any argument. This particular bodice is in five Vermeer paintings and is shown from every angle. This was very helpful in reproducing the bodice because I knew exactly what it looked like.
Much planning goes into a project such as this garment but the reward, of walking around in the Metropolitan Museum of Art looking like a painting was worth all the work involved.